Online proctoring via LMS-integrated third-party proctoring solutions
Online proctoring tools integrated with your institution’s LMS are third-party solutions. The Knewton Alta team has no control over or visibility into your experience with them, including in conjunction with Alta assessments (quizzes/tests).
- Each school needs to have their own relationship with the proctoring provider.
- The Knewton Alta support team cannot troubleshoot issues with a third-party tool, so you will be redirected to that third party for help.
We recommend that instructors
- create a proctored practice exam ahead of time so they and their students can confirm the setup and all the necessary features work for them.
- confirm that their students have the required equipment (webcam, device, OS and browser version, internet speed) and that their accessibility needs are met.
- turn on the setting for confirming student's system requirements (if available in the proctoring solution); however, please note this may not guarantee a smooth exam experience.
- set a password in order to prevent access to the exam outside of the proctoring solution. How to do this depends on the proctoring solution; see each solution's guides for details.
We recommend that students
- confirm their equipment meets the proctoring solution's system requirements. You can confirm each proctoring solutions’ system requirements on their support pages. Here are links to popular proctoring solutions:
- take the exam on a compatible device and update to the latest operating system, browser version, etc.
- as much as possible, take the exam when and where there is less traffic on their internet connection, and quit all other applications (including streaming services), so as to leave as much of the bandwidth available for proctoring as possible.
- familiarize themselves with the proctoring solution’s student guides ahead of their exam.
Common issues known to occur while using online proctoring solutions
- Content loading issues, especially on slow internet connection, older devices, or while running many applications. Students may need to reload the question (if this option is available) or refresh the whole page; depending on the proctoring solution, refreshing the page may mean they will also need to start the proctoring session again.
- Incompatibility with proctoring solution’s system requirements may block access to taking the exam. Students should meet the basic system requirements to take a proctored exam. If they cannot, they should reach out to the proctoring support team or their instructor.
- Password entry can be confusing (e.g. whether it’s provided by the proctoring solution or instructor, and if by proctoring solution, how students should retrieve and input it when prompted - please refer to the proctoring solution’s guides for how to enter the password). Please note: the Knewton Alta support team cannot provide any passwords. Students should contact their instructor if they need clarification on password entry.
- While proctoring solutions are generally committed to being accessible and ADA compliant, not all students with accessibility requirements may be able to use them as is, and may need an adjusted setup or to bypass the proctoring system altogether. Please refer to the proctoring provider for guidance.
Additional resources for popular proctoring solutions
- Examity’s support pages for
- Instructors: https://examity.com/instructors/
- Honorlock’s support page: https://honorlock.com/support/ (You can start a live chat with Honorlock support from the above link)
- Knewton Alta’s instructor and student guides for using Honorlock with Alta assessments (tests and quizzes)
- Proctorio’s support page: https://proctorio.com/support
- ProctorU’s general FAQ: https://www.proctoru.com/faq
- ProctorU’s test-taker support page: https://support.proctoru.com/hc/en-us/categories/115001818507
- ProctorU’s instructor support page: https://support.proctoru.com/hc/en-us/categories/115001380867-Instructor
- ProctorU's instructor guide for creating an exam: https://support.proctoru.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040702432-How-to-Enter-An-Exam-through-Your-ProctorU-Account
- Respondus Monitor’s support page: https://web.respondus.com/he/monitor/resources/