To email your students within your Knewton alta section, you need to make sure that you have a default mail provider on your computer or Internet browser. Below you will find tips on how to adjust the mail provider:
- Open Chrome and navigate to "Settings."
- Click Show Advanced Settings at the bottom of the page.
- Click "Content settings" under "Privacy and security."
- Select "Handlers" and switch on the Ask protocol.
- Select your desired, default email client (e.g. Gmail, Outlook).
If using Gmail, open Gmail in Chrome and click the Protocol Handler icon. Allow Gmail to open all email links.
- Open the Firefox menu on the upper-righthand corner of your browser.
- Select "Preferences" and scroll down to "Applications."
- Find or search for "mailto" in the search bar.
- Next to "mailto," open the dropdown menu and select your default email client (such as "Use Gmail" or “Use Microsoft Outlook”).
- Open your Windows computer's Control Panel.
- Click Internet Options.
- Click the Programs tab.
- Select the desired email client from the drop-down menu.
- Click OK.
If using Gmail in particular:
- Open Internet Explorer and download the Google Toolbar.
- Click the wrench icon on the upper-righthand corner of your browser.
- Scroll down to the "Web-browsing tools" section and select "Use Gmail for 'Mail To' links."
- Click "Save."
Safari and Gmail
- Open Safari and download Google's Mailto Extension.
- Click the arrow at the top right of your Safari browser and select your downloaded file.
- Click "Install" in the pop-up window.
- Select Gmail from the list of options.
- Restart your browser.
Windows and Outlook
- Press Windows key + R and type “control panel”. Hit Enter to open it.
- Use the search bar located in the top-right corner to search for “default programs“. Then, double click on Default Programs.
- Under Email, click the Mail icon.
- Select your Outlook program from the list and make it your default choice.
- Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
- Make sure Default apps is elected from the menu under Apps (left-hand side). Scroll all the way down and click on Choose default apps by protocol.
- Scroll down in the list of protocols until you find a MAILTO entry. Then, double-click it to choose from multiple options.
- Select your Outlook program from the pop-up menu.
- Click File
- Click Options
- Navigate to General
- Ensure “Make Outlook the default program for E-mail, Contacts, and Calendar” checkbox is enabled
For instructions on how to email your students within Knewton's alta, check out this support article.