Pool questions are a feature in assessments (quizzes and tests) that give you the option of providing different questions to different students. These are different to Static questions which display the exact same question to all students with no variations.
There are two kinds of pool questions: Quantitative and Qualitative. Quantitative questions have variants where the numbers change whereas qualitative questions have similar questions of similar difficulty level. If you enable Pool questions, there will be a mixture of these two types of questions included in the assessment.
When a student takes an assessment that includes a pool question, they will be randomly assigned one of the questions’ variants, so students will all see different versions of the assessment. Questions within each pool are extremely similar in difficulty and learning outcomes. For example, you may see:
- Calculate the square root of 4.
- Calculate the square root of 1369.
To find and use pool questions:
If creating an assessment for this first time, refer to this guide and video. Step 10 shows how to enable Pool questions.
If editing an existing assessment, follow the steps below:
- Find and edit your assessment in the course outline.
2. Click Edit in the Assessment to get to the Select Objectives screen.
3. Click Preferences. Then select the radio button to choose Pool questions by default for your assessment. Click Apply to finalize this choice.
4. At the bottom of the Select Objectives screen, click Done.
5. If you wish to customize your assessment questions even further, such as adding more questions per objective refer to this video and guide for instructions.