Enabling multiple attempts for assessments (quizzes or tests) allows your students another chance to get an improved score. Before students begin work and before an assessment’s due date, you are able to choose how many times your students may reattempt an assessment, and they will keep the best score out of all attempts as their final grade. If you use a learning management system (LMS), your gradebook will update with each new student submission that is better than previous attempts.
With multiple attempts enabled, students will be able to see their results to varying degrees depending on which setting you’ve enabled when creating the assessment. The following settings for what your students can see are available:
When a student completes this assessment, show:
- Grades only
- Grades + correct/incorrect answers
- Grades + correct/incorrect answers + answer explanations
They will see how many attempts have been completed and how many attempts they have left by the following symbol next to their assessment (quiz or test):
Students are not required to use all their given attempts. If they’re satisfied with their score and wish to complete the assessment and 'View Results', they will be asked if they choose to forfeit their remaining assessment attempts. They will then be able to see the correct and incorrect answers after the due date passes. Students will always be able to see their attempt scores to help make a decision on further attempts.
To enable multiple attempts when creating a new assessment:
1. Navigate to your Course and click Manage to edit your course outline. Then click Add.
2. Select Assessment.
3. Begin creating an assessment. Once you’ve named it and customized it to your liking with objectives and questions, navigate to the Settings.
4. Scroll down to the Features box. From here, check the box next to Allow multiple attempts.
5. Next, you can choose from the dropdown menu on the left how many attempts total you’d like to give your students. You can choose up to 10 attempts.
6. Click Save at the bottom of the page to finalize your assessment!
To enable multiple attempts in an existing assessment:
1. Navigate to your course and click Manage to edit your course outline. Then click the three dots next to the assessment for which you’d like to enable multiple attempts. Click Edit.
2. Click Settings on the top right.
3. Scroll down to the Features box. From here, check the box next to Allow multiple attempts.
4. Next, you can choose from the dropdown menu on the left how many attempts total you’d like to give your students. You can choose up to 10 attempts.
5. Click Save at the bottom of the page to finalize your assessment!
If you’d like to enable multiple attempts for only a selection of students, or an individual student:
1. Navigate to the correct section and click the Coursework tab. Click into the Quiz or Test Score card.
2. Select the quiz or test in question from the list.
3. Check the box next to the student(s) to whom you’d like to give more attempts.
4. Click the two-arrow button at the top of the student name list and choose how many attempts you’d like to grant! Click Save.