The following explains how to create a test in your master Course Outline which will also be added to all Sections. At the end, you will also find how to create a test in only one section.
1. Navigate to your course, click the Coursework tab, and click Manage.
2. Click Add.
3. Choose Test.
4. Type in a name for your test.
5. Fill in your start and end dates.
6. Next, decide which topics and learning objectives you’d like to cover on your test. You’ll see a list of chapters in your course - click the arrows to the right of each chapter title to expand a list of learning objectives. Toggle on or off the learning objectives you’d like to have on your test!
You may see that learning objectives have tags next to them: Tested or Assigned. These let you know if these learning objectives are already tested in your course or appear on an assignment, respectively. You’ll also receive a warning if you toggle on a learning objective that does not appear in any assignment.
7. Next, navigate to the Questions tab to choose the questions that will appear on your test. Your questions are organized by topics, and for each topic you can scroll through potential questions and click Add Question to add more than one question per topic.
8. You have the ability to delete questions from this page, as well as delete the learning objective. If you delete all questions from a learning objective, the learning objective will stay present but include no questions pertaining to it on the test.
9. On the Questions tab, you also have the option of adding Custom Questions! Scroll to the bottom of the page to the Custom Questions section and click the plus sign next to Add Multiple Choice Questions. In the box that pops up, you can compose your question, choose your multiple choice responses, and set your correct answer(s). We do have an option to add Custom Free Response questions - if you're interested in this, please contact your Knewton representative! For an extensive guide on how to use this feature, please visit this document!
10. Finally, go to the Settings tab to set constraints and additional parameters to your test like a Review Center, shuffling question order, a timer, and password protection.
You can choose whether you’d like to give your students multiple attempts on your test and, if you wish to do so, how many attempts they receive. Finally, you can choose what you show students in terms of test results after each test attempt.
-Test Grade shows a student only their grade.
-Test Grade + Graded Questions shows a student their grade and which questions are correct or incorrect.
-Test Grade + Graded Question + Answers shows a student their grade, which questions are correct or incorrect, and correct answer.
Some of these settings can be adjusted after your student have started their test! After a test has begun, you can change the name of the test, as well as the due date and time. All late submission policies will obey the new date and time. You may also toggle on and off the Review Center, password protection, and Lock Down Browser. Your students will see these changes when they revisit their test or refresh the page.
11. When you’re satisfied with the content and settings of your test, click either Done to finish, or Preview to see a preview of the test from your students’ eyes.
To add a test to only one Section rather than to the master Course Outline:
1. Go into the Section you want to add to, then choose Manage.
2. Repeat the same test creation process as above.
Note: you will not be able to save any tests you create in only a section to use in future courses. Create tests you plan to reuse at the parent course level.