View the following videos on how to create your course, and read below for more step-by-step instructions.
If you are not going to be integrating your alta course with a Learning management System, please go to this article instead.
A Course is a collection of assignments, quizzes, and tests. Each course must have a minimum of one Section, which students join. If you have more than one group of students taking the same class, you will have more than one Section containing the same Course material.
Your Course is a master version of your Sections and contains all information that passes down to them. Your Sections are copies of the same master course. For example: CHEM-100-01 and CHEM-100-02. Each Section has the same course outline as other Sections under the same Course.
To build your course:
1. Sign in a knewton.com and navigate to your My Courses page. Click Create Course.
2. On the next page, fill in your Course’s title, but refrain from using a section indicator such as 01, 02 etc. We’ll get there later! Fill in your institution, type the name of your ISBN or the number, and enter your Course’s start and end dates.
3. Finally, select your LMS in the dropdown next to “Learning management system.” Click Create.
4. The next step is to build your course outline. Click Get Started under Build a course outline.
5. Next, select whether you’d like to add an assignment, quiz, or test to your Course Outline. Continue with creating this.
6. Click the Settings button to add details to your course such as a Course description and enabling partial credit and strict due dates.
7. Finally, if you’d like, you can add course collaborators. These people can serve as a co-instructor. To do this, click on the Add Instructors button:
8. Click Copy Link next to the knerd.me link and send this to your desired course collaborator. Once they click on the link, you will then go back to this back and click Accept to officially bring them into the course.
Note: for tips on how to modify a course outline, watch this video.
Once you have built your course outline, it’s time to add your Section(s).
- Navigate back to your course and click Add Section.
2. You will follow the instructions that present themselves on your screen. For more information and detailed instructions on adding sections using your specific LMS, please visit our LMS Integration and Support page.